Sunday, July 8, 2018

Solstitium

as morning comes
the sun returns
climbing to its spire
it paints its familiar scrawl
upon indifferent dusty walls
i look upon it gratefully
my hopeful upturned gaze
but
today is different from the rest
i can feel it in my bones
today a ship sails across clouds
then all at once is lost
in a spectral landscape
slowly changing then suddenly gone
it leaves me guessing every dawn
perhaps it begins like this each day
and time has worn dirt onto the glass
creating a haze until one day I expect – at last
to be left here in darkness – save a miracle of sorts
and though it shouldn't matter much at all
it marks the passing of the cycles, you see
as if a signal sent for only me
across the vast sea of there and here
that separates the distances in time
my lone hourglass, this companion of mine
my sunshine