Thursday, January 31, 2019

Spaceship

just made my final run to the hardware store
found those last few pieces i was looking for
soon everyone will see why i was working so hard
i'm building a spaceship in my backyard

can we overlook the typos on my resume?
when you see my spaceship you'll be blown away
a few more paychecks and i'm outta this place
google my name when i'm in outer space

the neighbors are laughing but i really don't mind
i'm doing this for you, your friends - all of mankind
though many have tried and many have failed
i figured this thing out – i know i'll prevail

i'm going to fly in and out of weeks, maybe a year
stare monsters in the face, show them no fear
to bring back truth, justice, and a better way
and prove i'm not crazy, i told you i'm ok

don't wait up for me, this may take a while
to find hope for a world living in denial
to restore faith in the light of things unseen
and sell a few articles to the travel magazines

my spaceship's almost ready, red letters spell my name
and yes i'll wear a seatbelt, i told you i'm not insane
better stand back while i light this and burn up the sky
remember this day
and that a departure's not a goodbye