Thursday, September 19, 2013

Harvest Moon

Last night was the harvest moon, which is just a term for the full moon as it appears near the autumnal equinox. It looked brighter this year than it did before, so I took some pictures of it. The sky was mostly clear, although I did have to wait a bit for the clouds to move away from it before taking a shot.

It took me quite a few tries to get the focus right. I tried using an aperture setting of f22, but that didn't help. In the end, I shot with the aperture wide open (f2.8) and took quite a few shots in an attempt to nail the focus manually. I kept the camera on a tripod and used a remote to trigger the shutter so that the camera would be perfectly still.

After all that, I only ended up with one picture that turned out well, but it was worth the trouble:


I didn't go out away from the city lights anywhere, I just stood in the driveway. Good enough!