Monday, January 21, 2019

I'll Be Right Here

Another paper cutout project completed! I ordered a moon poster online and then I drew and cut out the bicycle and the trees and taped them to the poster. This one doesn't make use of silhouettes the way I usually do with these, but that wasn't possible with the moon poster. I tried positioning the bicycle and trees out in front of the poster, but lighting the moon to match the movie still and keeping unwanted shadows out proved to be an insane balancing act and in the end this looked better, anyway:


I figured the bicycle/Elliot/E.T. would be the trickiest part, but it actually wasn't too bad and I got it right after two or three attempts:



The trees were really tedious and took quite a while to complete. Originally, I planned to make four or five, but then decided it would look too crowded with that many trees. Plus, they are a pain to cut out:


I used two studio lights; one to the left with a blue filter and a second one to the right with no filter that I set to fire at the lowest power. I taped the poster to a black bedsheet and then taped the bicycle and trees in place:


This blue filter cast a strong blue hue to the shot, which helped match the color seen in the movie. Using two lights – one without a filter – made the lighter areas of the moon appear white, instead of everything looking like shades of blue. I rarely use these things, but this time it came in handy:


Coming up next: Mad Max...