Saturday, October 21, 2023

Great Grandma Nodland


My great grandma, Anna Marie Nodland, lived to be 107 years old! She passed away in July 1999, having outlived everyone she grew up with. My great uncle Archie never married and he took over the farm after my great grandpa passed away. Archie cared for her and worked on the farm, expanding it over the years. I always looked forward to visiting them and Archie used to take me and my brother for rides on his tractors. He also used to let me drive his pickup by myself on the gravel driveway, which was a risky move on his part! I never hit anything, although, I did accidentally gun it too hard and spray gravel all over once.

Great Grandma Nodland cooked meals, baked pies, and always made us kringla. She insisted that everyone have seconds and seemed disappointed if we didn't eat everything on the table. Every time we visited it seemed she was always working and had to be convinced to sit down and take a break. Her mind was sharp and she rarely used a cane or walker until she was about 100. She passed away in her room in the home where she grew up.