Friday, January 4, 2013

Out in the cold

On New Year's Day I went out in the freezing cold to take pictures downtown. Cold weather makes me feel like death – really, I hate the cold – but my enthusiasm for photography outweighed the painfulness of the cold. Or at least it did until I went outside. It was 17 degrees out and even though I wore layers, I froze within minutes of getting out of my car downtown.

The first pictures I took by the City Hall, but the wind blowing along the river made my fingers go numb in minutes, so I didn't hang around long.


I edited the colors in the photo of City Hall for effect, but the rest I left alone. The natural contrast between the frozen, blue river and the sun hitting the side of the building inspired me to mess with the photo a little bit.

Next, I went over to the parking ramp next to the U.S. Cellular Center. Ten stories up, this is the view I took in:

It was so much colder on the top of that ramp and the wind was a lot stronger, so after taking a handful of photos I went back to the elevator to head back to my car. When I stepped inside the building, the sun was shining against the dirty window at the end of the room, which made a great shot. I posted that photo in the previous blog post.

Despite the cold and the fact that my fingers had lost all feeling, it was worth the trouble and the photos turned out OK. Photography never gets old, it's always worth the effort to go snap a few photos, even when the weather isn't the best. The more I take pictures, the more I want to make time to take even more.

OK, that's all.