Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Only in dreams


I stood in the middle of the room with a bucket in my hand while everyone else ran from one room to the next, covering their heads with their hands and crouching to avoid something that I couldn't see. They would point and yell, then run into the next room to escape. Each time they pointed I would look, but by then it was gone. Everyone kept pointing and shouting, "Look, look, look!" but when I looked there was nothing there.

They all ducked together to avoid the apparent swooping flight of the bat, but no matter how hard I looked or how many lights I turned on, there was nothing. I thought I could hear it squeak, but amongst all the noise it was difficult to tell. If I listened closely, I could hear the rustling of wings, or maybe I was listening too hard and imagined it.

A lamp hit the floor as they ran into the kitchen, looking back over their shoulders to the living room where I stood. It must be close. I stood up on a chair to be closer to the ceiling and then maybe I could see or hear it. I put my arms out to try to block its flight and keep it in the living room. By waving the bucket, I hoped to knock it from the air. The curtains might have moved, so I turned my attention to the window. Just then, shouts came from the kitchen and I realized it was not in the living room at all.

I put the bucket down. If I couldn't see it, I couldn't catch it. I swung open the front door and propped the screen door open. Suddenly, everyone cheered as nothing flew out the door and left us alone.

********

I also had another weird dream about trying to help our cat escape our house and gain her freedom, but I don't remember much about that one except that she kept coming back. She would, too, that cat is really dumb.