Friday, August 7, 2015

The Lights Out West

In my dream I was working in a grocery store stocking shelves when a very sharply-dressed corporate-looking woman stopped and asked me where to find some weird gluten-free something or other. Since I stocked the shelves I knew exactly where to find it, so I led her there. She was pleased that I was able to find the item so quickly and she told me that she had been there several times before and asked, but no one knew where to find it. Then she ran down a list of odd items and asked me if I could find any of them. I realized she wanted me to take her to each item and basically do her shopping for her, but I didn't really care. Once she had all the items she left and I went back to stocking the shelves.

An hour later she returned... with Kanye West. (Yup, this dream is about meeting Kanye West and being at Hy-Vee, the two things I despise most in this world.) Kanye wanted to know how I found all of those items so fast and I told him I worked there and knew where everything was. He told me that his assistant (the woman who was shopping on his behalf) had talked to the manager previously and had been told that the store didn't carry those items. I told him the manager was an idiot and didn't know anything (who cares if I get fired?). Then he asked me if I could find all of the items, plus some additional stuff that he gave me on a list. I looked the list over and told him I could do it. He glared at his assistant and dismissed her. "To remain above all and to create at this level of artistry, Kanye needs the best and nothing less," he said. (Yes, he referred to himself in the third person.) He went on at length about how his brilliant creative output and artistry required a higher quality of nourishment than the rest of the masses and he offered to pay me one million dollars if I would agree to do his grocery shopping. I agreed.

***********************************************

My next dream was less interesting, but I wanted to write it down anyway. I woke up in the middle of the night and went into the bathroom and turned the light on. Or at least I flipped the switch – the light didn't come on. That's weird that all those bulbs could be burned out at once, maybe the power was out. None of the lights in the house worked, but everything else electrical worked fine. It became darker and darker in the house until I could not see anything and could only feel my way from room to room. Not a single light source anywhere, except the clock radio in the bedroom and the clock on the microwave. In the dark I began to realize that there were more rooms in my house than there were when I could see. Soon I was walking for what seemed like miles, stumbling from room to room looking for a light. Funny how watching something right before going to bed can mess with a person's head like that.