Sunday, October 6, 2013

DSM

We took a kid-free trip to Des Moines for the weekend, saw some bands, had some good food, and visited some of the old places where we used to go. On Friday night, we went down Court Ave. and enjoyed some really good live music. Saturday morning we went to Gray's Lake for breakfast after stopping at Dahl's for doughnuts. Dahl's bakery makes some really good doughnuts and we used to stop there for breakfast sometimes.

And guess what else I found at Dahl's? EGG NOG. I do like me some eggnog, so I had that for breakfast, too. I don't care if that makes you want to puke, it was great and I liked it.



We walked around downtown for a bit Saturday morning and I took pictures of whatever as we walked along...






There's the old courthouse (below). I used to work in that tan building behind it and to the right. One day some crazy dude started spray painting expletives on a truck in front of the courthouse, so the cops tried to stop him. At work, we heard all the commotion and looked outside. He took off running and then pulled out a gun and turned on the cops. They shot and killed him in the street. The gun turned out to be a fake. Very sad and very bizarre. Anyway, that's a fun bit of trivia there.


A shot of the Des Moines River...


The High Crest band playing downtown.



I was hoping to get my reflection in his shades in this one, but you can't quite see me.



As I was taking pictures of them, a hippie came up to me and stood there watching. The dude was a few years younger than me, had a full beard, a tie dye shirt, shorts, birkenstocks, and a bandana with a native American design on it. He seemed very chill and reeked of herb. "What do you take pictures of?" he asked me. "Everything that catches my interest," I told him. That was a satisfactory answer and he nodded in solemn approval. Looking up at the sky, he said, "There were some really interesting clouds earlier. The contrast between the buildings and the sky was really cool." "Yeah, I took several pictures of the clouds behind the tall buildings earlier," I said. Again, solemn approval.

We saw a friend of ours from Cedar Rapids selling granola at the farmer's market and stopped to talk for a bit. I took senior pictures of her son a couple years ago and it was cool to catch up.

At the Court Ave. Brewery for lunch...



A lot of memories going back to Des Moines. I don't miss living there at all, but it was cool to go back and see all the old places we used to go to and goof off and revisit for a while. And yeah, there is way more to do at night in Des Moines than in CR!