Friday, October 18, 2013

Remind Me Again

This is a song I wrote a long time back. I forgot all about it in with the drafts of unfinished blog posts that I have started and never finished. This one is finished now, so time to post it. For reference, I wrote this right after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and that's what was weighing on me at the time.

*******************************************


i woke up today and the world had changed
we're so much different but still the same
something is gone and it won't be back

side by side we're all miles away
shoes are empty the smiles fade
our song has all but been forgotten

will we remember what we had and when
or was it ever there and did it end
is this all how it's supposed to be?

is it true that all of us are telling lies
behind locked doors and in disguise
written words and muffled sighs
when the life we knew met its demise

i've been so far, what have i found

lost in ourselves when you come around
you speak life and truth without a sound
and i still listen for the echoes in this town

with lights and words for all to see

they sell you things that were already free
but the only one who's really fooled is me

so i will look away to the joy that i keep

to the path that is laid out before my feet
shed a light on us and the words that we speak

and find us another day to start again
where we can shake free of it all again
and take the steady hand guiding us back again


remind me who you are again
i've forgotten all i knew again
remind us all again